So you don’t exactly celebrate Easter yet you embrace some of the traditions associated with it. Gotcha! Here are some suggestions:
– Talk about/read children’s books about the history of Easter & the different ways that people celebrate Easter globally.
– Take spring foods to your family gathering.
– Have a treasure hunt (instead of an easter egg hunt).
– Fast for 30+ days leading up to Easter. ie. sunrise to sunset.
– Give up an activity or food you like for 30+ days prior to Easter.
– Head to an Ethiopian/Eritrean Orthodox (or Coptic) Easter service and feast afterwards. Educate yourselves before you attend the service.
– Play marbles. Make kites and fly them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC7rlIxVdt8
*Fasika is the Amharic word for “Easter.”
P.S.- Check out this series by Hru Assaan. He’s schooling us on the Afrikan origins of Easter. Awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sezEoEUz6I Part 2. There are a few more clips in the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w19Ppifw7s Dr. Ray Hagins speaks on the subject.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKd7XaaEk64 Naazir Ra gives his take on Easter.