Have you noticed that many sistahs struggle with menstruation? Cramps, bloating, mood swings. Girlfriends, your moon time can be something to look forward to. It’s meant to be a time of rest. Better believe it! Take time out and slow down as much as possible. Get those naps in. Note your dreams. Here are a few other tips:
- Eat well (ideally whole vegan foods). Include lots of raw foods especially greens & seaweeds. Green bananas, okra, yams are awesome womb foods. Superfoods, whole food supplements, herbs are a must. Stay away from drugs & alcohol.
- Exercise on a regular. Sweat, sweat, sweat!
- Be very mindful of who you sleep with.
- Try to wear 100% cotton underwear.
- Minimize your salt/seaweed intake (especially leading up to/during your menses).
- Take women’s wellness and nettle teas throughout the month. Drink the teas at least every other day. ie. http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/product/female-toner-reg
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily.
- Use natural birth control. Condoms when necessary.
- Fast once a week. Fresh juices, water.
- Do the Het-Heru dance on a regular. https://www.tauinetwork.com/Healing-c30
- Keep the wearing of heels and tight clothing to a minimum.
- Develop a daily yoga practice. My favourite is Kemetic yoga. Note: Some postures aren’t meant to be done while your period is on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho7yfOgVHJY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKee69CrdYo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gJN5ajJu9w
- Eat very lightly during menses. Lots of raw foods. Minimize starches.
- Consume PMS tea (consistently for 7-10 days) prior to the onset of menstruation. ie. http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/product/pms-tea-reg
- Enjoy some cocoa 1-2 days before moon time. Consuming it around ovulation may be helpful too. Think: chocolate bars, milk (homemade or bought), cocoa tea etc.
- Think positively.
- Use pads like http://www.lunapads.com or http://www.natracare.com.
- Lay low on sweets and junk food.
- Maintain healthy relationships. Toxic vibes? Don’t create ’em. Don’t stand for ’em.
- If you’re the main cook/uncook (heehee) in the house ask your partner to cover the meals until moon time is over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjNpgORq5eY I am Womb meditation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otGLtcUX7K8 A woman’s perspective on how to get rid of cramps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt85eU_Q2hU Menarche & more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt7Bn_J-9dU Spiritual significance of moontime
https://earthmedicine2015.wordpress.com/2015/10/19/the-ceremony-of-bleeding/ Moontime in Himba culture
http://www.birth-institute.com/alternative-medicine-and-childbirth/vaginal-steams Info. on vaginal steams
P.S. – Looking for resources? Check out all of Queen Afua’s books. http://www.menstrualmovement.com is a great help too.