Fam, it’s hurricane season in this part of the world. Things have gone well so far. No worries here since it’s home. It’s just a matter of being prepared. Dat it! Here’s my prep. list. Feel free to use it if you ever need to.
– Do laundry.
– Wash dirty dishes.
– Have on hand: Candles, matches/lighters, batteries, old towels for flooding, at least one battery-operated radio, books, puzzles, games, cards, letter writing paraphernalia, small burners/sternos (for cooking), flashlights.
– Identify hurricane emergency radio station. Tune in on occasion for weather updates.
– Secure all windows & doors. Exposed windows/glass doors should be duct taped for extra protection.
– Fill pots, new trash bins, buckets, bath tubs, bottles (filtered water for drinking) with tap water. Ensure that you have enough for bathing, cooking, drinking, flushing toilets.
– Have enough food on hand. Prepare some in advance. Freeze/refrigerate. ie. fresh fruit, cereal, soup, lasagna, chili, pasta/tomato sauce, stew, salad stuff, popcorn, chips/salsa, crackers, banana/gingerbread, cookies, bread, fruit bars, dried fruit. For non-perishables stick to boxed and bagged items as much as possible.
– Clear your yard & porch. Bring all potted plants, toys, pets, chairs inside.
– Carry out protection rituals before and during the storm. For more info. ask a traditional African Priest/Priestess.