What is Sage?
Sage has become very popular in the West (Western world). What was once looked at as something associated with sorcery and witchcraft is now a go-to tool for removing negative vibes and energy. Sage has been used since ancient times for healing and to clear the build-up of emotional or spiritual negativity.
There are many types of sage but the sage is mostly used for cleansing is dried white sage.
Burning sage is one of the oldest and purest methods of cleansing a person, group of people or space in our human history. Scientific studies have shown that the medicinal properties of sage smoke are a powerful antiseptic that can purify the air of 94% of harmful bacteria for up to 24 hours. The electromagnetic field (aura) around our body, as well as the energy in our environment, can become blocked with harmful positive ions that can make us feel fatigued, sluggish and burnt out. Burning sage or other herbs neutralizes the positive charge and releases large amounts of negative ions into the atmosphere. This means that our own energy, and the energy around us, will feel lighter and calmer.
Burning herbs has been a popular method of purification in many religions and cultures. Christian churches smudge with frankincense and myrrh. Incense is commonly burned in Asia and in Buddhist temples, and the Incas burned palo santo wood.
It has been a tradition in South America for hundreds of years.
Once the sacred plant is burned, the cloud of smoke that emanates is used to prepare for prayer ceremonies, rituals, and purification. Smudging is believed to heighten the sensitivity of healers, or the medicine men so that they achieve an enhanced state of mind and can effectively assess and treat illness.
Benefits of Burning Sage
- Improves Allergies
- Dispels Negative Energy
- Boost Mood
- Relieve Stress
- Improves Sleep
- Boost Energy Levels
- Chemical-free Air Freshener
How To Use it?
- Light the end of a sage bundle with a match. Blow out quickly if it catches on fire.
- The tips of the leaves should smolder slowly, releasing thick smoke. Direct this smoke around your body and space with one hand while holding the bundle in the other.
- Allow the incense to linger on the areas of your body or surroundings you’d like to focus on. Using a fan or feather can also help direct the smoke, though this is optional.
- Allow the ash to collect in a ceramic bowl or shell.
- The amount of smoke presents lets you know how much negative energy is around.
Sage burning cleansing can be as elaborate or as simple as you want it to be, but it’s of the highest importance that your intention is clear before you begin. If you are burning sage to purify a space, or a person (even yourself) then this needs to be clearly planted in your mind before you light the sage, and while taking the smoke around a home, or through a space.